EMBS Proceedings: Special Issue of Marine Environmental Research
A selection of full-length papers from invited speakers and oral presentations will be published in a Special Issue in Marine Environmental Research (MERE) under the theme “Biodiversity in a Changing Ocean”. Submission of manuscripts will be via the normal online submission system for MERE: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/marine-environmental-research/
The submission website for this journal is located at: http://ees.elsevier.com/mere/default.asp
To ensure that all manuscripts are correctly identified for inclusion into the special issue, it is important that authors select SI: EMBS 2013 when they reach the “Article Type” step in the submission process.
The submission deadline is 04/11/2013.
Selection of Papers for the Special Issue
The Guest Editors for the SI will be Dr Robert Kennedy, Dr Anne Marie Power, Dr Louise Firth and Dr Louise Allcock of the School of Natural Sciences, NUI, Galway. Robert Kennedy will be the Managing Guest Editor. They will be responsible for the selection of the manuscripts. Selection criteria will be scientific quality and relevance to the theme of the special issue.
Peer Review Process
The Guest Editors will ensure that manuscripts are submitted to strict peer-reviewing process, which is essential to ensure that only quality papers are published.
The procedure is outlined below:
• Each paper must be reviewed by at least two international specialists (three in case of doubt). The Guest Editor will provide explicit recommendations for revision to authors, and ensure that revision is in accordance with their recommendations and the reviewers comments.
• If major revision is asked for by one of the referees it must be reviewed again by at least one referee.
• Invitation to publish as part of a thematic set is not a guarantee of publication. Strict peer review standards will apply and the Editor-in-Chief will arbitrate if necessary.
• All manuscripts will be submitted through the Elsevier Editorial System (EES). A specific platform will be set up for the submission of papers of the SI, and manuscripts will be reviewed under the supervision of the Guest editors in the normal manner.
• Only authors giving oral presentations will be allowed to submit an article. All articles will be full-length research articles. This is to ensure that the overall quality of the process and the final issue are of a high standard.
• At the end of the review process, the Guest Editors will forward the papers selected for publication with a recommendation to publish to the Editor in Chief. Manuscripts will not be accepted for publication until they have been subjected to a final evaluation by the Editor in Chief.
• Each senior author will receive a PDF reprint of his/her manuscript as well as a complimentary copy of the issue. There are no page charges.
• All first or corresponding authors will receive galley proofs for checking.
• Colour on the web is free of charge, colour in the printed version of the journal is subject to colour printing charges. Authors must indicate which figures should be published in colour in the printed version, and that they are willing to cover the costs involved. Colour printing costs will not be covered by the Guest Editors or the EMBS.
The schedule for submission, review and revision of manuscripts outlined below will be strictly enforced by the guest editors. Late papers deemed suitable by the Editor in Chief may be published in MER in a regular issue of the journal.
The Symposium takes place 19-23/08/13.
Submission of Manuscripts: 04/11/2013
First review completed: 16/12/2013
Revised Manuscripts submitted: 17/02/2014
Second Review completed: 31/03/2014
Final submission: 12/05/2014
This schedule allows reasonable time for all stages of the review process, including the requirement for major revision and second review by one or more reviewers. It will be strictly adhered to.